Nathan grew up in a residential area of Manchester with his parents and younger sister. When he realizes to be a homosexual the family falls apart. During pre-adolescence, he befriended Donna, a school friend.
Initially naïve and insecure, according to Hazel Tyler Nathan is a hopeless drama queen. The influence of Stuart and from the Canal Street clubs make Nathan more confident of himself, perhaps too much, transforming him into a narcissistic and selfish young man, always looking for sexual pleasures to satisfy.
A really good-looking guy with blond bobbed hair, later combed in a more messy way, blue eyes and athletic body. Disused school uniform, he wears extra- tight t-shirt and blue jeans, as well as leather jackets and other fashionable clothes. He has a nipple piercing
- I can do what I like! I’M MOZART! I’M FUCKING MOZART!
- Nathan: Donna, you don’t know her! You don’t know anything! Cos you’re straight! Right? You’re part of the system! Right? You’re part of the fascist heterosexual orthodoxy!
Donna: I’m black. And I’m a girl. Try that for a week. - Episode 5
- Queer As Folk aired in 1999 when Charlie Hunnam was 18 years old. It was his first major role, and certainly a ground-breaking event, both for television and for the career of a burgeoning actor. The show’s premise involved a very good-looking, naïve young man (Nathan Maloney) who is drawn into the gay scene around Manchester’s Canal Street, one of the U.K.’s famous openly gay communities.
- In the American remake Queer as Folk (USA) Nathan has been replaced by a character named Justin Taylor, with whom he shares some characteristics:
- The family situation is almost identical.
- Both are very good at drawing.
- Both fall in love seducer duty: Stuart in the UK version, Brian in the US version.
- However, psychologically, Nathan is much more petty and sneaky than Justin. Unlike Justin, then, Nathan is not madly in love with Stuart / Brian.
- Freddie Baxter seems to be vaguely based on Nathan.
- Nathan is allergic to many foods, including peanuts, and some medicines that might get him into anaphylactic shock.